Our Primary Curriculum, a fundamental aspect of our all-through school offer, has been built around our six core values which link directly to our 4Rs – We are Responsible, We are Resilient, We are Ready to Learn and ultimately, ‘Recognisably Roundhay’. We have carefully planned and refined our children’s personal development journey to run through the very heart of our entire provision, in addition to ensuring that they master the rich knowledge of the whole curriculum, preparing them for their journey through the Secondary Campus.
Each curriculum area is seen as a subject in its own right and we have worked hard to develop an ambitious curriculum which ensures that our pupils know more, remember more and can do more at each stage in their journey with us.
Our carefully planned curriculum is designed with ambition, for all of our pupils, to create a broad range of opportunities and memorable experiences which ensure that children are:
Enjoy a challenge
…and are fit and ready for their future!
We ensure that we develop children’s strength of character by designing our curriculum around key themes which support their global development. Some subjects are linked to key themes to ensure real depth of learning and other subjects are taught all year round.
The Primary Campus Curriculum
Our Curriculum booklet below gives you an overview of how it is designed and implemented at the Primary Campus…
All curriculum areas are seen as subjects in their own right and we have developed a timetable which ensures that our pupils are taught the depth and breadth of the full national curriculum. English, Maths, Science, PE, Art, Music, MFL (in KS2), RE & Worldviews and Strength of Character and Talk Time are taught on a weekly basis. Geography, History, Computing and DT are taught in half termly blocks to ensure depth and mastery. Children are expected to recall regularly what they know, remember and can do at each stage of their learning journey with us.
- Our core values drive everything that we do so that we can develop the holistic child with an explicit focus on developing the children’s strength of character and personal development.
- We plan backwards from an ambitious, agreed end point so that quality first teaching leads to high quality outcomes.
- We do this through clear, consistent and progressive teaching sequences so that pupils master knowledge, skills and understanding for each curriculum area that lead to meaningful, high quality outcomes.
- Key skills are taught explicitly so that they can be mastered and applied within and across the curriculum and beyond.
- Knowledge is organised coherently to ensure progression so that pupils have strong core knowledge across our rich curriculum.
- We develop children’s understanding through rich, connected learning opportunities and experiences so that pupils can connect new knowledge with existing knowledge.
- Along with our core values, we provide a language rich environment, with an emphasis on talk and vocabulary, which underpins our curriculum so that children can thrive and become confident, literate individuals.
- We effectively use assessment for learning so that we can identify next steps for pupils on their journey to true mastery and depth.
Achievement at Roundhay is defined as children knowing more, remembering more and being able to do more across our broad and rich curriculum. This leads to pupils who are fit and ready for the next stage of their education.