Year 12 - Work Experience Support
The Year 12 Work Experience scheme is a week-long work placement, arranged by the student, in the industry of their choice. Our placement scheme gives students the opportunity to gain experience in their chosen field, enhance university and employment applications and get a real insight into the world of work. Past placements include scientific research with Unilever and LTHT, data analysis with Tottenham Hotspurs, several medical placements within the NHS, as well as media and performing arts placements across the city’s theatres and studios.
We work in partnership with NYBEP who provide all students with a database of potential placements and contact details and look after the insurance side of each placement. Students don’t have to stick to Leeds- NYBEP can authorise placements throughout England. In sourcing and arranging the placement themselves, students will develop a range of key employability skills.
STUDENTS: See Mrs Metcalf (Post 16 Work Experience and Employability - based in the Mansion, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday) for help identifying and contacting suitable companies, writing speculative letters and improving your telephone technique.
PARENTS / CARERS: If you or your place of work are interested in hosting one of our Sixth Form students on Work Experience, please contact Mrs Stephanie Metcalf on 0113 3931225 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
FEEDBACK FROM OUR STUDENTS
Best 3 Aspects of their Work Experience
- The ability to get involved in actual filming
- Witnessing shows being broadcast
- The relaxed atmosphere
Bobby - Made in Leeds TV
- Doing a biopsy of a placenta
- Biopsies with a Brain Doctor
Alexander - Leeds Teaching Hospitals
- Travelling and being independent in London
- Gaining invaluable advice from the architects in the office
- Going on site to building projects and seeing the process in person
Lucy - FourFourSixSix Architects (London)
- Working where I was I learnt a lot
- Learnt lots about the workings of MPs
- Actually being useful within the environment
Paddy - House of Commons
- Working in the media and marketing department
- Helping with the running of an event
- Working with the retail team
Katie - Yorkshire County Cricket Club
- Gaining an insight into many aspects of law
- Getting to work on actual, active cases
- Working with barristers to go to court hearings
Hayden - LyonsDavidson